logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tompo  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:34:00 AM(UTC)
Tompo

Groups: Registered

Elthos ODS is by far the most coherent and least number-cruncher rule set I've played to date. It creates the sort of gaming experience I'm sure Ernest Gary Gygax would be proud of. A rule set that emphasizes more on actuall Roleplaying and not so much on character customization. Do not misunderstand my previous statement, Elthos ODS has everything you need to create, controll, and manage every detail in a fantasy world.
Comments/suggestions:
While playing the Mage class in combat I found myself puzzled with the prospect of always being in melle range and having no obvious way to disengage to strike from afar. Since the action of casting requires a full turn I was not able to move in any tactical way, my movement speed being the same as that of the monster's. The obvious solution would be to always have meat shields along with you(Fighter), but that would only play out to your advantage if your opponent isn't smart enough to bypass your companion and strike directly at you. Another solution is to use the sleep spell to slow or render the monster helpless, in exchange for Mystic Points wich are just as precious to a caster as Life Points are to a fighter. In other words if you go too Spell happy in any specific battle you can potentially bring disaster upon yourself. Maybe what is needed isn't a change in mechanics but additions to the repertoire of spells a Mystic starts with.
After reading most of the rules I found a paragraph directly connected to the Mystic/melle combat cituation. Mystic Combat second paragraph talks of Mystics not being able to cast powers while engaged in physical combat unless a specific weapon skill is acquired, along with other requisites. Does this mean a Mystic that finds himself in melle range more often then not should multiclass fighter to better function in combat or am I reading it wrong?

I'll continue to update this post as I finish reading the rules.
Offline vbwyrde  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2009 7:36:00 AM(UTC)
vbwyrde

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Tompo Go to Quoted Post
Elthos ODS is by far the most coherent and least number-cruncher rule set I've played to date. It creates the sort of gaming experience I'm sure Ernest Gary Gygax would be proud of. A rule set that emphasizes more on actuall Roleplaying and not so much on character customization. Do not misunderstand my previous statement, Elthos ODS has everything you need to create, controll, and manage every detail in a fantasy world.
Comments/suggestions:
While playing the Mage class in combat I found myself puzzled with the prospect of always being in melle range and having no obvious way to disengage to strike from afar. Since the action of casting requires a full turn I was not able to move in any tactical way, my movement speed being the same as that of the monster's. The obvious solution would be to always have meat shields along with you(Fighter), but that would only play out to your advantage if your opponent isn't smart enough to bypass your companion and strike directly at you. Another solution is to use the sleep spell to slow or render the monster helpless, in exchange for Mystic Points wich are just as precious to a caster as Life Points are to a fighter. In other words if you go too Spell happy in any specific battle you can potentially bring disaster upon yourself. Maybe what is needed isn't a change in mechanics but additions to the repertoire of spells a Mystic starts with.
After reading most of the rules I found a paragraph directly connected to the Mystic/melle combat cituation. Mystic Combat second paragraph talks of Mystics not being able to cast powers while engaged in physical combat unless a specific weapon skill is acquired, along with other requisites. Does this mean a Mystic that finds himself in melle range more often then not should multiclass fighter to better function in combat or am I reading it wrong?

I'll continue to update this post as I finish reading the rules.

First off, let me say thank you for the feedback! I'm much obliged.

As for the use of the Mystic Class. I am currently experiementing with the combat magic system, so the rules themselves are still in an evolutionary state. So any observations you have will be very helpful in the process.

That said, my thinking about Movement and Range Weapons is that the Range weapon user already has a big advantage over the sword wielding fighter - he can attack at a distance. So the rule that says you can either move or fire a range weapon (including spells) is designed to offset that advantage somewhat. You can, to compensate, do a couple of things. One is to tactically manuver to a location where you have the terrain advantage, such as behind your fighters (most typical solution). Since most adventure groups have a typical arrangment of three or four front line fighters, a magic user, a cleric and a thief behind, it makes sense that once engaged in combat the mystic spell chanter is protected. This is what most parties do any way: protect the mystics so they can fire spells at the enemy. This is the equivalent in real world combat to the infantry protecting the artilary.

Of course the alternative is for the Mystic to fire a spell on turn, then move the next turn, then fire a spell for that turn, then move the next turn. Currently this is the price to be paid for being a Mystic.

As for multi-classing. Yes, a SpellChanter + Fighter can use weapons in combat, and can switch from spell chanting (no movement) to normal weapons (allowing movement) as the situation dictates. It's a good option, though it does cost more Experience Points to go up in levels as a combination class character. That's the trade off.

I think you are on to something regarding the addition of a some sort of slow spell for Spell Chanters. I'll look into that.

So that's my thinking. I'm play testing the system currently and will definitely pay careful attention to this issue. Thanks again!

Mark