logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline thegrimjester  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2014 12:28:40 AM(UTC)
thegrimjester

Groups: Registered
United States

This may surprise you, but I'm not going to debate experience at this time. If Elthos is going to be a system designed to attract people new to role-playing, then the same old method will work. It's what is used in computer role-playing games, so new people will probably be used to the concept.

I urge you to try GURPS though. I am not a huge fan of the system anymore, but generating a character in GURPS tends to yield a very richly realized character before play starts.

GURPS (originally Man to Man) was the first system that I've seen that used a point buy system. The most interesting part of the point buy system is that you can not only buy stats, and skills, but you can also get advantages, and disadvantages. The disadvantage aspect is the part that makes interesting characters.

When you take a disadvantage, you are given points to spend positively elsewhere. So, you can end up with a strong boxer, with tough skin, who stutters, and is afraid of cats. Stuttering, and fear of cats, aren't just flavor text; they have in game effects.

I believe Fate uses aspects to act as both advantages and disadvantages, depending on the situation.

Anyway, give it a try so that you can get a sense of the competition. I will help you make a character one day. It will take about one hour.
Offline vbwyrde  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 11:38:13 PM(UTC)
vbwyrde

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Man
United States

Originally Posted by: thegrimjester Go to Quoted Post
This may surprise you, but I'm not going to debate experience at this time. If Elthos is going to be a system designed to attract people new to role-playing, then the same old method will work. It's what is used in computer role-playing games, so new people will probably be used to the concept.

I urge you to try GURPS though. I am not a huge fan of the system anymore, but generating a character in GURPS tends to yield a very richly realized character before play starts.

GURPS (originally Man to Man) was the first system that I've seen that used a point buy system. The most interesting part of the point buy system is that you can not only buy stats, and skills, but you can also get advantages, and disadvantages. The disadvantage aspect is the part that makes interesting characters.

When you take a disadvantage, you are given points to spend positively elsewhere. So, you can end up with a strong boxer, with tough skin, who stutters, and is afraid of cats. Stuttering, and fear of cats, aren't just flavor text; they have in game effects.

I believe Fate uses aspects to act as both advantages and disadvantages, depending on the situation.

Anyway, give it a try so that you can get a sense of the competition. I will help you make a character one day. It will take about one hour.

Yes, Point Buy systems are interesting and have their advantages. I have three ways to generate a Character in Elthos. One is called "Allocation" which is a Point Buy system. You start with 11 points and can distribute them how you wish. The disadvantage is that you have no chance of getting an outstanding character. But on the other hand you can gear the Character towards a specific class. Just not the upper end ones.

As for buying disadvantages in order to garner more points of advantages... interesting. I've seen that around in some games. Cool concept. I won't steal it. I'd like to, mind you. But I somehow feel it's unfair to just blatantly steal other people's ideas.