logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline vbwyrde  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:14:00 AM(UTC)
vbwyrde

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Man
United States

This was written in another thread by grimjester, speaking about a new Skill rule... but it deserves it's own thread so I'll take it from here:
Quote:
I don't feel strongly against you using it. I don't entirely dislike it, or think it's broken. I just wouldn't include it in a default world. Since this has come up, a good deal of thought will have to go into what gets into a default world, and how many template worlds/skill sets you will include with basic registration. Although some people will want to make their game from the ground up, they will be rare. Most people will want more to start with and the ability to modify it.

When a GM creates a new world it will inherit all the objects and things from the Default World. Yes, this world is very important to have "right", and my idea in it's regards is to give it the minimum set of basic stuff for a fantasy world. These items can be deleted or modified, and since there won't be very many of them, it will be reasonably easy to manage.

Then the Gamesmaster will be able to create items specific to their world. Want an Omega-Laser that can shoot an asteroid out of the sky? You can create that. Etc. The Gamesmaster can also go and browse other Worlds for interesting stuff, currently, but this is going to be removed from the system and replaced with the Packages idea. Why? It's annoying, but as much as I love the idea that GMs can share their original materials freely with each other, there can be legal problems with providing that functionality. What if some GM decides to go swipe gobs and gobs of material from a known Fantasy writer's book, and then shares that on the system? Then the system owner could become liable. We've seen that sort of thing happening more and more lately. So, sucky as it may be, it's something that has to be considered. In response to that, and perhaps this creates a better system overall in some ways, Charles and I came up with the idea of GMs packaging up Objects Sets from their worlds into "Packages". These at least can be vetted when they "Install" the package into the "Package Store" (so to say). If they pass muster, they can be added to the list of World Packages. I'll start off with a few, such as "Sci-Fi - Planet X", "Wild West - Dead Man's Gulch", and so on. These will come with a load of weapons, armors and equipment that will work for that setting. The idea, however, is that whatever I create is just a starting point. I'm hoping that the lions share of the creating will be done by other GMs over time. I'm also thinking that if we have a Trading System where GMs can make some money by selling their creations via the "Packages Store" that would be interesting, motivating, and provide a kind of capitalistic rating system by which others can know who has the best stuff, and provide some income for the maintenance of the site and system going forward. Or... if the Packages themselves are not really diverse enough after a while (I imagine we will only need one or two Packages per genre, actually) then perhaps the "For Sale" piece can be Scenarios - Campaigns and Adventures that GMs create with NPCs, Histories and Maps, etc, that can be "On Sale" within the system.

The Packages idea has yet to be programmed. Currently I have only the Objects Sharing system. I will create the Packages system after we're done with the current play test, and release it before I go to Open Beta.

Thoughts?