logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline SLast  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2012 12:06:00 PM(UTC)
SLast

Groups: Registered

Some ideas for potential new spells. Like the Miracles, I tried to make them mechanically complete where I could but some of these are more vague ideas than fully realized spells at this point.

Power Name: Lightning Reflexes
Time Cast Units: Does your system allow for cast units less than a melee? D&D 3.5 has "Swift Actions" where you can perform one swift action per round and also take normal actions that round. Something like that is what I'd probably do here.
Duration Units: Melees
Effect Units: 1 point
Range Units: Personal

+1 to initiative rolls for the duration of the spell. Bonus MP can be added to the duration and/or effect.

Power Name: Iron Raptor
Time Cast Units: Melee
Duration: Instant
Range Units: feet

The Spellchanter infuses a melee weapon with magic energy and hurls it at their foe. The magic sends the weapon swooping in an arc to strike the target and return to its owner like a loyal war hawk. As part of the spell the caster makes a melee attack at their normal attack level. The magic allows this attack to strike an enemy at range and returns the weapon to its owner afterward. Bonus MP can be added to the range but the accuracy and damage are dependent on the weapon and the physical prowess of the wielder.

Power Name: Sudden Leap
Time Cast Units: Swift Action (see below)
Duration Units: Instant
Range Units: Personal

This power allows the caster to interrupt the normal combat order and move up to their movement after normal moves and facings have been performed.

I see Sudden Leap as a potentially very powerful ability. It essentially makes the caster immune to melee attacks from a single opponent (though multiple foes could trap the caster) and, for an Illusionist, Freeman, or Ranger, makes for a deadly combination with Backstabbing (or with Stealth to make the caster truly uncatchable). As written, the downside is that it only works once per casting so a Spellchanter would have to keep recasting it and spending more MP to get the benefit every melee.
Offline vbwyrde  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:13:00 AM(UTC)
vbwyrde

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Man
United States

Originally Posted by: SLast Go to Quoted Post
Lightning Reflexes
Iron Raptor
Sudden Leap

Great ideas! I added the first two with some modifications for game system purposes, but 'Sudden Leap' seems too powerful as defined. I'm thinking over how that might work.

Here's the stats on the first two:

Iron Raptor
Cast-Time Units: Instant / Power Word
Duration Units: Instant
Effect Units: Level 1 (1d6)
Geometry Units: Circle / Persons
Range Units: Feet
Mystic Power Category: Protections
Mystic Power Type: Spell
Power Level: 3
Alignment: All
Description:
The Spellchanter infuses any light or medium melee weapon with magic energy and hurls it at their foe. This could be a dagger, sword, club, etc. The magic sends the weapon swooping in an arc to strike the target and return to its owner like a loyal war hawk. The Attack Level is at the Caster's normal Attack Level. The Range for light weapons is 40', and medium weapons is 60'. Bonus MP can be added to the Range (only) at +10 feet for every 2 MP.

Lightning Reflexes
Elkron: None
Cast-Time Units: Instant / Power Word
Duration Units: Melees (6 Seconds)
Effect Units: Level 1 (1d6)
Geometry Units: Point / Self
Range Units: Touch
Mystic Power Category: Chronomancy
Mystic Power Type: Spell
Power Level: 2
Alignment: All
Description:
This spell gives the Caster's Adventure Group +1 on Initiative Rolls (ie - the whole group via the Caster) for the Duration of the Spell. The spell lasts for 1d6 Melees. Bonus MP can be added to increase the Duration by +1 Melee for each MP added.

Thoughts?

Thanks again Sam!
Mark