logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline SLast  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 11:21:00 AM(UTC)
SLast

Groups: Registered

In the rulebook the cost for learning a skill from the guild is given as 1IP/SLP and mystic powers are said to be the same. On the web app, it costs 10IP/SLP and 100IP/MLP. Does the book need updating?

Also, I'm unclear on a couple of things:

The rulebook says that class specific skills are "always used at the current level of the character." Does this refer to skills the character has selected only or all class specific skills, learned or not?

When you learn a class specific skill at a level higher than first, how much does it cost?

Regarding additional skill points, how do they interact with skills gaining effectiveness as a character levels. That is, if I put an additional point into Heavy Weapons at lv 1 so I'm using it as a 2nd lv skill, then I level up, do I now use HW at lv 3?

Does a character who has multiple skills that apply to the same action get any bonus for this? For instance, Marskmanship and Archery both allow the use of bows. If I take them both do I get any benefit over having taken just one?
Offline vbwyrde  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:25:00 AM(UTC)
vbwyrde

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Man
United States

Good catch! Thank you. I think the Rule Book needs to be updated, but in either case 100 IP / MLP seems a bit high. I'm thinking that both should be 10 IP / MLP after all. What do you think?

The Class Specific Skill are also called "Primary Skills"... they need to be Learned (by spending SLP or MLP), otherwise the character can attempt to use them, but at a lower level ... a previous Play Tester (Tim) suggested that all unlearned skills be used a 1st Level proficiency no matter what. That has the advantage of keeping the system simple. I am thinking of using that as the default. The alternative, and prior method, was to have unlearned skills used at 1/4 the character's current level. Maybe that makes a little more sense from a simulation perspective, since a higher level character is probably more apt to be able to do things the first time better than when he was a low level character... but at a cost of a little more complexity (what is 1/4 of level 5?). So for now unlearned skills are Level 1.

As for adding Bonus SLP to a skill, yes at each level that bonus would continue to apply. So as per your example, yes that is correct.

The skills list is still somewhat in a state of flux so don't get too glued to the exact list at this point. However, in general, there will be some skills that incorporate other skills. You'll notice for example that Medical Skills include curing disease, curing poison, first aid, setting bones, and surgery for example. You could choose to learn each skill individually, or you could use to bundle them all together, and get them in Medical Skills, at a discount on SLP. If you choose them individually you can buy them with SLP and Iron at a lower cost. Let say your character only cares about learning how to set bones and cure poison, but does not plan to be become a doctor. No problem. But to become a doctor he should learn Medical Skills. Now, as for Archery vs. Marksmanship... I will probably chose between the two of them and only have one in the end. So it will probably not make sense to have both. However, lets go back to the Medical Skills for this example. If you have already selected bone setting and cure poison, and later decide you want to take Medical Skills, you can do that - and in that case you would remove surgery and bone setting from your skills list (and get back the SLP and Iron for them), and then take medical skills which incorporate both, among others. You would spend your recovered SLP on Medical Skill, but since it incoporates additional individual skills you will probably still need to spend more SLP than you gained back. However, in any case, no, you would not add to your Skill Level if you have both Surgery and Medical Skill.

I hope that's reasonably clear. I'll try to improve the rules book to make it as clear as possible. Thanks again for the thoughts and questions, Sam!
Offline vbwyrde  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:43:00 AM(UTC)
vbwyrde

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Man
United States

Update: I have changed Marksmanship. It is now a 3rd Level Career Skill. It incorporates Fletchery and Archery. Again - still open for debate. At some point we can do a top down review of the skills and consolidate the list.