logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline vbwyrde  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 3, 2011 10:45:00 AM(UTC)
vbwyrde

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Man
United States

Hi,

Tim has been great at helping to provide a lot of feedback on the skills system via emails. I went ahead and consolidated the proposals and rationals into a word document which I am attaching to this thread. This way we can discuss the issues related to the Skills system in a format that allows us to collaborate and share observations and suggestions going forward.

I have also attached the excel file in which I have Tim's original analysis (sheet "orig"), and my revision of that sheet ("Config_1"). I have also made a side by side chart to show any differences between the two sheets. Once the configuration of the variables is set, there are no differences, which indicates that the revisions I made are accurate to the original. The Config_1 sheet, however, will be a little easier to use for modifying formulas in order to evaluate the different SLP Options.

In the word document I have highlighted pending considerations and/or issues in yellow.

Please feel free to comment on the document (attached) in this thread. Thank you!

:)
- vbwyrde
File Attachment(s):
MysticPowers.xls (68kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
SKILLS REVISIONS KEY POINTS 5.doc (131kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline vbwyrde  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2011 3:04:00 PM(UTC)
vbwyrde

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Man
United States

According to the Skills Learning analysis (see attached docs of original post) the problem with the current system can be summarized as follows:

Skill Learning Point gains do not need to be very large as there are not a huge number of Elective Skills required to make a Character interesting, and having too many points to spend makes the Character’s skill list seem too large. However, the opposite is true for Mystic powers, where a wide selection of Powers is preferable (since the number of powers is not reflective of their numeric effectiveness when cast).

The proposed solution is to separate Skill Learning Points (SLP) from Mystic Learning Points (MLP) by giving them two different formulas for how many points are granted at each level.

SLP = # of Classes
MLP = Level * # of Powers Of Level at Level

Since there was a request by the players to give the starting characters a bit more definition in terms of skills we decided to add a bonus number of points at 1st level to the SLP.

SLP = # of Classes + Start Bonus
MLP = Level * # of Powers Of Level at Level

The Number of Powers Of Level at Level indicates how many Powers a typical Mystic should be able to obtain of their current level. So if the mystic turns 3rd level they should be able to gain that number of 3rd level spells at their new level.

The values used for this analysis are:

SLP Start Bonus = 4
# of Powers Of Level at Level = 2

This results in the following results:
vbwyrde attached the following image(s):
slp_mlp_gains_85p.jpg (214kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.