logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline vbwyrde  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:51:00 AM(UTC)
vbwyrde

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Man
United States

In response to this interesting post I wrote the following reply:

http://irontavern.com/2012/09/11/15-minute-work-day/

As GM I have shaped my world to encourage players to play smart, not formulaic, and if they wish to be heroes to be daring and courageous when required. Not every situation requires heroism, and good planning and preparation are “playing smart”. If I press them too much and too often for the sake of keeping the pressure on, then after a while it seems like my world starts to feel like a B grade movie (which isn’t the worse thing, but I prefer to have the feel of Tolkien, rather than “Robot Chimps from Mars”). I’d say about 40% to 60% of the time in a given campaign I might have a high pressure situation. The rest of the time is lower pressure and gives the party time to plan, recuperate, and stock up. When there is high pressure usually it is a Run-And-Fight situation. The rest of the time it is a “Think-And-Do” which also has action, but not as mission critical, and gives the players time to use their heads. I like to mix both because it feels more “real” to me. While the overall plot should have a pressing purpose or objective, not every moment needs to be high pressure. So it is a matter, in my mind, of balance. Some games I might like the whole campaign to be fast paced like Conan, but other campaigns I might like it slow paced like a carefully played chess game. Just depends my mood, and my perception of the mood of my players.